Monday, February 18, 2013

Brotherhood Fishing

  This past Friday night I was able to get back out on the hard water for the Crappie bite. A cold front had moved in and the sky was clear with the stars shinning bright. This made for a slow evening of fish, but an enjoyable one to say the least. I was joined in my Frabil shack by my brother. We don't get the opportunity to fish together often but when we do, we always make it a good time.


  We headed out to the same spot I had slammed the crappies a few days prior. Set-up by 5:30pm or so and started marking a few fish, but nothing comparable to Tuesday nights event. First fish was a small gill, and another small gill, and another small gill. This had me puzzled to say the least. "They have got to be here" I told my little bro. He laughed and reminded me he is always my bad luck charm. About 5 mins. later he hooked into a nice fish. As he reeled I smirked "bad luck eh". It was a nice Crappie in the 9" range. From there the bite picked up a little and stayed steadily slow throughout the evening. We did manage to catch about 15 keepers by 9:30. We called it quits do to a lack of propane for the heater and packed up and headed in. The Gulp smelt minnow seemed to do the trick again for us, with waxies still catching a few fish. As we made the trek back to the truck we gave each other a hard time on who caught the most and who caught the biggest fish of the night. I always catch the most, but he somehow always catches the biggest.


 This was the big fish of the evening, a nice 12" slab of a Crappie. Good job little brother! It is always nice to spend some quality time with family while have a fishing rod in your hand. Until next time, Tight Lines!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. We have been getting into some solid ones. It is only a matter of time till the giants start showing up in the hole.

      Delete